Who doesn’t love a good party? Holidays, pool parties, birthdays, kids parties…dinner parties- endless opportunities to laugh and celebrate – OH yeah – and endless opportunities to undo all of the progress you’ve made. It isn’t all about the food but that seems to be the part we struggle with the most. Why not be smart about the parties?
Whether you’re a host or a guest, check out my simple smart party tips to keep you smiling even the next day.
- Don’t arrive on an empty stomach. Eat a small protein rich snack and drink a full glass of water before you go.
- Be a food snob (my personal motto). Check out all the food options before you dig in. What makes your mouth water-what’s worth the calories? Keep in mind that you can’t outrun your fork (tried).
- Chew slowly and savor your food. Skip anything fried- period (ok, motto #2).
- Offer to bring your own dish – this is a little insurance that there will be at least one delicious, healthy option you already know you like. Bonus points for being a thoughtful guest.
- Don’t nosh and nibble. Get a plate-fill it once- then don’t go back.
- Be a two fisted drinker with water always in one hand. Skip the drink mixers.
- Don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach. This typically leads to mindless over eating and you’re more likely to have a hangover the next day. Sip while snacking-you’ll eat and drink less.
Kimberly Young MS CNS is a practicing Nutritionist in Dallas, Texas. Learn about her integrative approach to diet and nutrition and schedule online at kyoungnutrition.com.
Leave a Reply