Official kick of to summer… Memorial Day! Drinks, snacks and desserts pool side right? Endless opportunities to undo all of the progress you’ve made. Whether you’re a host or a guest, check out my tried and true pre party tips to strategize NOT sabotage.
- Don’t arrive on an empty stomach. Eat a small protein rich snack and drink a full glass of water before you go.
- Be a food snob (my personal motto). Check out all the food options before you dig in. What makes your mouth water-what’s worth the calories? Chew slowly and savor it. Skip anything fried period (ok, motto #2).
- Offer to bring your own dish – this is a little insurance that there will be at least one delicious, healthy option you already know you like. Bonus points for being a thoughtful guest.
- Don’t nosh and nibble. Get a plate-fill it once- then don’t go back.
- Be a two fisted drinker with water always in one hand.
- Don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach. You’re more likely to feel sick the next day and this typically leads to mindless over eating. Sip while snacking-you’ll eat and drink less.
Memorial Day isn’t only about the parties and the start of summer; it’s also about the veterans we’ve lost fighting for our country. Focus on that- and remember to treat your body with the same amount of kindness and respect. You’ll thank yourself on Tuesday promise.
Kimberly Young, M.S. is a practicing Nutritionist in Dallas, Texas. Learn about her integrative and functional approach to diet and nutrition at kyoungnutrition.com