So here we are – Halloween – the “unofficial” kick off to the holiday season right? There will be fabulous cocktail parties, holiday gatherings, the annual cookie exchange… and pies-PIES!!! Yes, endless good reasons to celebrate with friends and family; and, of course all sorts of good food to be had.
Let’s be real-all too often we use this season as an excuse to fall off the food wagon. Make this YOUR year to celebrate without the sabotage? Whether you’re a host or a guest, check out my tried and true pre party tips….strategize NOT sabotage.
- Don’t arrive on an empty stomach. Eat a small protein rich snack and drink a full glass of water before you go.
- Plan your calories. If you know you’re going to indulge for dinner, plan your day of eating ahead of time so you can monitor your caloric intake. Think twice about skipping meals to save calories for the big night? Meal skipping zaps your energy level and slows your metabolic rate.
- Be a food snob (my personal motto). Check out all the food options before you dig in. What makes your mouth water-what’s worth the calories? Chew slowly and savor it. Skip anything fried period (ok, motto #2).
- Offer to bring your own dish – this is a little insurance that there will be at least one delicious, healthy option you already know you like. Bonus points for being a thoughtful guest.
- Don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach. You’re more likely to feel sick the next day and this typically leads to mindless over eating. Sip while snacking-you’ll eat and drink less.
Kimberly Young, M.S. is a practicing Nutritionist in Dallas, Texas. Learn about her integrative and functional approach to diet and nutrition at kyoungnutrition.com